Art and Design
Art provides children with sensory experiences, a channel of self-expression, freedom to fail without reprimand and to succeed without competition.
At LDSM, we aim to develop a rich variety of art and design skills which develop creativity. Pupils will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art. Children are encouraged to think critically, and develop a more rigorous understanding of their own artwork as well as that of renowned artists.
Emphasis is placed on the development of:
- Producing creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences;
- Becoming proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other techniques;
- Evaluating and analysing creative works using a wide range of appropriate vocabulary;
- Furthering their knowledge of great artists, craft makers and designers;
- Understanding how art and design both reflect and shape our history and culture;
- Working co-operatively with others to produce large scale pieces of artwork.
High quality art should engage, inspire and challenge pupils. Pupils are given the opportunity to reflect upon the way in which art shapes our history and contributes to our culture.
Art and Design curriculum overview
Art vocabulary progression
Art progression at LDSM
Photographs of learning