At LSDM, we encourage the children to reason mathematically, and to have the confidence to tackle problems with a methodical and accurate approach. We endeavour to give the children a solid foundation of mathematical skills that are essential to everyday life.
Emphasis is placed on:
- Developing an appreciation of the beauty and power of maths;
- Harnessing a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about maths;
- Becoming fluent in maths through varied, frequent practice that becomes increasingly complex over time;
- Increasing the speed of recall of mathematical facts and the ability to apply them to real life situations;
- Solving mathematical problems by breaking them down into simple steps;
- Maintaining the breadth of maths – including shape and space, data handling and investigations.
The new curriculum asks us to not use calculators as a substitute for good written and mental arithmetic, but we use them effectively when exploring more complex investigations once the children are in the Upper School.
Maths Workshop- Spring 2019
Click below to download the slides from our recent maths workshop.