Design and Technology
At LDSM, we encourage pupils to use imagination and creativity to design and make products for a range of purposes. Pupils acquire and apply a broad range of skills, such as mathematics or science. Children are encouraged to take risks and to evaluate their designs, carefully considering the function of the product.
Emphasis is placed on the development of:
- Building and applying a broad range of knowledge, understanding and skills to design and make high quality products;
- Developing the creative, technical and practical skills needed to perform everyday tasks confidently;
- Broadening the ability to be successful in an increasingly technological world;
- Evaluating critically and testing their ideas and products, as well as those of others;
- Understanding and applying the principles of nutrition, and learning how to cook;
- Becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens.
Pupils learn to solve real life problems in a variety in contexts. Through the evaluation of past and present designs, the children will develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.